Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Working - What I've Learned So Far

1). This is a Two Way Street

Interview tips and good work practices leave one thing out...it isn't just about getting a job and keeping it, it's about finding a fit that's beneficial to both company and employee. I know early on in my career I over-valued what the company gave to me, and undervalued what I was giving to the company. That will not happen again. No company will think twice about kicking an employee to the curb for not holding up their end of the bargain. For too long employees have failed to hold their employers to the same standard.

2). All I Know is that I Know Nothing

Some of the best teachers and some of the best co-workers I've had were the ones that had little more experience than I did. Saying "I don't know" can be difficult in an economy where it's impress or get out, but often it's the right response to a question. The good coworkers will be aware of your level of experience and be looking to shore up their own and learn with you. The most infuriating teacher's I've had in the corporate world were the ones that were too pig headed to give an idk response and blathered on incessantly to satisfy their own lack of confidence.

3). You Usually Have One of Two Things...The Tools to Succeed, or the Ability to Acquire Them, so Be Confident

My current job is the one in which I've entered with the least applicable experience, and yet the one at which I've excelled the most. A big part of that is confidence, going back to my high school mentality of "I can figure out anything given the time." For the most part jobs aren't about a great depth of knowledge, but acquiring good experience.

4). This is a Two Way Street Part II

If a coworker or a boss is being a dick, call them on it. It's not up to you to figure out how to get along with everybody, it's up to them to meet you halfway. I had a boss (who was partially responsible for training me) that treated me like I didn't exist (except when something went wrong). When it was brought up during an evaluation, promises of more interaction were made. They were unkept. In fact, that person's boss started belittling me to be more engaging. I should have called them both on it.

5). Never Get So Busy Making a Living that You Forget to Make a Life

I worked at a company where every single person needed to be beat upside the head with this until they either got it or unconscious. I feel bad with some people's kids that have to put up with absentee parents. For most of us, work isn't the most important thing we do with our lives...it's one of the least. Family, friends, health, sleep, and several other things should always come first. I have 80 years on this planet if I'm lucky, I'm not spending it working 10 hour days and weekends in a box.

No comments:

Post a Comment