Friday, September 2, 2011

Working on Taro Says

For those of you that don't know, Taro Says is an idea for a book I had several months ago (long before Mary Wall came calling with her documentary). I wanted to get in touch with Sabres fans of all walks of life and compile their stories on whatever they want to talk about into a book. I've found that if there's one thing that fans love, it's reminiscing with other fans.

I'll be blunt: I want your stories about you and the Sabres, and I want as many as possible.  I see this going one of three ways.
  1. You write something yourself and send it to me.  Other than correcting for grammar/readability I will leave things virtually unchanged.
  2. You have a conversation with me/tell me stories via instant messenger, in which case I'll be doing a huge copy-past job while filling words in to make the transition from internet conversation to something suitable for a book.
  3. You speak to me in person, in which case I'll transcribe your words as best I can, again keeping as much of your voice as possible while still making it readable.
Obviously some are easier than others, but I don't have much of a preference.  I just want as much input from other fans as possible.


I'll post the general outline I have below. Things are subject to change based on what people want to send and what they want to talk about. Some categories may generate very little interest/stories so they may get scaled back or cut entirely. I don't want to place any limitations on anyone, so write as much as you want about whatever you want, on as many topics as you want. (I think people like talking about themselves, so hopefully you won't need much encouragement.)

My idea for formatting is to head each story within each chapter with "Person says..." and then whatever they've written or whatever I've written based on a conversation with them. So if there's a particular way you want to be referred to let me know, otherwise I'll just use first name only. I think that since a lot of the contributors will be bloggers, I'll have an appendix listing them and their sites (provided they're Sabres related), so if you want to be included there, just give me the info.

I really want this to be a collection of individual voices and stories, so outside of grammar mistakes and misspellings, and fitting things into the appropriate chapters, I don't plan on changing anything.

This is my goal with regards to publishing (I'm not 100% sure I can do things this way, but pretty sure):
I want to make the book free on Smashwords which offers formats for most eReaders in addition to plain text and PDF formats for reading on a computer.  If people do want to pay, I'll put a paid electronic version on Kindle's Amazon.com site and a paid hard copy version on lulu.com.


You can get at me on:
Twitter - @CriminallyVu1ga
AIM - CriminallyVu1gar
E-mail - Baseball74656@yahoo.com

The Outline:

Part I: Great Moments in Sabres History as Seen by the Fans

Chapter 1: Before There Were Sabres
Growing up with Hockey
Rooting for the Buffalo Bisons

Chapter 2: Getting a Team
Where Were You When You Heard the News?
Did Things Change in Buffalo?

Chapter 3: Humble Beginnings
Getting Gilbert Perreault
The French Connection
A Swift Rise to the Top and the 74-75 Cup Finals

Chapter 4: Settling In
Through the 70s and 80s
The Departure of The French Connection
Lindy Ruff as a Player
The Playoff Wins Drought

Chapter 5: The Glorious 90s
Celebrating May Day
Alexander Mogilny, Pat Lafontaine and Dominik Hasek
Farewell to The Buffalo Memorial Auditorium
Lindy Ruff as a Coach
The 97-98 Conference Finals
The 98-99 Cup Finals and No Goal

Chapter 6: Tense Times
The Ownership Issues
The Lockout Year
Prevailing Through

Chapter 7: 2005-2006, Rick Jeanneret's Favorite Season
Low Expectations and Remarkable Results
Campbell's Hit, Briere's Game Winner, and Whooping the Flyers
Pominville's Shorthanded Clincher and the Senators Shocker
Defensemen Dropping Like Flies, Briere Sends it to Seven, but the Fans See Disappointment

Chapter 8: 2006-2007, Being the Class of the NHL
High Expectations and the President's Trophy
Steamrolling the Isles
Difficulties with the Rangers and Chris Drury and Max Afinogenov Play Heroes
The Senators get Retribution

Chapter 9: Looking for Better Days
Losing Briere and Drury
Missing the Playoffs
New Ownership and a Look into the Future


Part II: Great Moments in the Lives of Sabres Fans

Chapter 10: And So it Begins
Your First Sabres Game
Starting Young and Being Raised a Sabres Fan
Starting Old and Finally Seeing the Light
Early Memories
Shepherding Young Fans into the Fold

Chapter 11: Through the Years
Togetherness and Sabres with the Family
Growing with the Team
Favorite Players Through the Years
Friends You Made at Sabres Games

Chapter 12: Add a Lot of Blue, a Little Gold, and Cook With Passion
The Best Stories from Inside Buffalo Memorial Auditorium
The Best Stories from Inside HSBC Arena
The Best Stories from the Plaza
The Best Stories from the Bar
The Best Stories from Home

Chapter 13: Thanks for the Memories
Bidding Farewell to the Aud
The Greatest Game You Ever Saw
Remembering Ted Darling
Remembering Rick Jeanneret

Chapter 14: The Hopeful Future
Where Will You Be When the Sabres Win the Stanley Cup?



No comments:

Post a Comment