Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tim Thomas Should Fucking Retire and Buy an Arena Football Team

In case you didn't pick up on it, the title is a reference to John Elway who put together one of the best statistical seasons of his career at the age of 38, annihilated the Atlanta Falcons in one of the most boring Super Bowls ever, won the Super Bowl MVP and then decided, "you know what, I'm going out on top."

Meanwhile Tim Thomas put together a record breaking regular season, then followed it up with a record breaking playoffs, a Stanley Cup victory, and a Conn Smythe trophy to boot.  Just retire.  Everything else is going to be a disappointment.  The only reason Thomas could possibly have for playing is a "fuck you guys for doubting me," victory lap, which is completely understandable, and also going to result in a much worse season.

It gets even more puzzling when you consider the replacements.  John Elway left a gaping hole in the Broncos.  Thomas would be leaving the Bruins in the hands of Tukka Rask, a somewhat insane, but extremely capable young goalie.  And I'm not saying this because I hate the Bruins (fuck em all) or because I hate Tim Thomas (seeing Thomas's vindication was the only reason I could stand Boston's victory).  I actually like the guy, which is one reason I don't want to see him fuck his way to a mediocre season because he won't care as much and won't get as lucky as he did in 2010-2011.  I also want to see him leave the game on his terms, rather than get gradually squeezed out by shithead Tukka Rask (which is almost certainly going to happen).  There are so few things you have control over in an NHL career, and Thomas is in a unique position to have the most recent memories of him remain eminently positive.  That, I think, is worth something.

No comments:

Post a Comment