Sunday, August 21, 2011

Grading the NHL Soccer Kits: Southeast Division

I'm going to grade the NHL's soccer kits that were recently featured on Puck Daddy and drawn by this guy.  I'll try to be nice, and fair and not do things like penalize teams I hate, or blame the designer for having to work with teams that have shitty logos or colors or both.  I'll be grading the overall design of the home and away and the use of the team's colors, not the quality of the colors themselves.  Oh yeah, and I'll be going division by division since I'm too lazy to do this all at once.  Everything is out of 5.  And I liked most of them, so they all scored pretty high.


Home Design - 5
Home Colors - 5
Away Design - 4
Away Colors - 5
Total - 19

Notes: I like the Capitals unis a lot.  To me they look more like a traditional soccer jersey than any of the others.  Just not a huge fan of the boob stripes on the away.


Home Design - 4
Home Colors - 5
Away Design - 4
Away Colors - 4
Total - 17

Notes: Carolina gets a lot of help from the fact that their arena logo looks really awesome.  It's a shame all of their team logos look really stupid.  While the square flag design looks good, one flag still signals a tropical storm, not a Hurricane.  Fail.


Home Design - 4
Home Colors - 4
Away Design - 5
Away Colors - 3
Total - 16

Notes: It's really unfair that Florida's colors are kind of a mess.  The red, yellow, and blue has never looked good, and the blue and blue looks like a blatant ripoff of several other teams.  The Panthers' jerseys end up looking more like golf shirts than anything, which I suppose is fitting since that's all their team and their fanbase does.

Home Design - 4
Home Colors - 4
Away Design - 3
Away Colors - 4
Total - 15

Notes: Tampa Bay doesn't really give a whole lot to work with.  I think the boring switch to fewer colors was a bad move and it shows in this kit.  The away jersey actually does okay with the stripes, but still looks kind of stupid to me.  At least the St. Pete Times text is cool.


Home Design - 3
Home Colors - 4
Away Design - 2
Away Colors - 3
Total - 12

Notes:  The home jersey is okay I guess, if a little boring.  Like Tampa Bay, I don't hate the stripes, but I don't like them either.  The away jersey just looks like a Pepsi can.  With the prominence of the maple leaf in all the Jets' logos, the designer couldn't do a giant layered full torso-ed maple leaf?  That could have looked awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment