Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Grading the NHL Soccer Kits: Northeast Division

I'm going to grade the NHL's soccer kits that were recently featured on Puck Daddy and drawn by this guy.  I'll try to be nice, and fair and not do things like penalize teams I hate, or blame the designer for having to work with teams that have shitty logos or colors or both.  I'll be grading the overall design of the home and away and the use of the team's colors, not the quality of the colors themselves.  Oh yeah, and I'll be going division by division since I'm too lazy to do this all at once.  Everything is out of 5.  And I liked most of them, so they all scored pretty high.


Home Design - 4
Home Colors - 5
Away Design - 5
Away Colors - 5
Total - 19

Notes: I think the Sabres might be the best overall design and I think the Sabres away is the single best jersey in the entire collection.  Blue and yellow is a color scheme that is really easy to work with.  Plus on the away jersey the team logo in the upper right blends seamlessly into the design instead of looking out of place as it does on some jerseys.


Home Design - 4
Home Colors - 5
Away Design - 5
Away Colors - 5
Total - 19

Notes: There's that rounded torso block I'm not really fond of again, but like blue and yellow, it's easy to make red, white, and black look really good.


Home Design - 5
Home Colors - 5
Away Design - 4
Away Colors - 5
Total - 19

Notes: With Buffalo, this might be one of the best overall designs.  I think it would be if the away was just a little more interesting, perhaps with some blue trim and/or striping.


Home Design - 5
Home Colors - 5
Away Design - 1
Away Colors - 3
Total - 14

Notes: Look, I get that retro and ugly can ironically look good...it just doesn't here.  I never liked that candy cane Habs jersey and I still don't here.  I think the home does a much better job of holding to tradition while still looking sharp.

Home Design - 5
Home Colors - 5
Away Design - 3
Away Colors - 1
Total - 14

Notes: I liked the striping on the home jersey.  I'm glad the designer mixed things up instead of rehashing the same ideas with different brands and colors.  The away looks like a dog ate a white T-shirt, an entire bottle of mustard and then shit them out.  Just hideous.  I can get behind an all yellow jersey, but it has to be yellow, not puke.

No comments:

Post a Comment