Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Grading the NHL Soccer Kits: Central Division

I'm going to grade the NHL's soccer kits that were recently featured on Puck Daddy and drawn by this guy.  I'll try to be nice, and fair and not do things like penalize teams I hate, or blame the designer for having to work with teams that have shitty logos or colors or both.  I'll be grading the overall design of the home and away and the use of the team's colors, not the quality of the colors themselves.  Oh yeah, and I'll be going division by division since I'm too lazy to do this all at once.  Everything is out of 5.  And I liked most of them, so they all scored pretty high.

Home Design -4
Home Colors - 5
Away Design - 5
Away Colors - 5
Total - 19

Notes: The only thing I don't like about the home jersey is that the arena logo is a little hard to read.  Otherwise they did a real nice job of incorporating stripes without looking hideous.  Making a jersey with red, white, and black seems like cheating though.  So easy.


Home Design - 4
Home Colors - 4
Away Design - 4
Away colors - 5
Total - 17

Notes: The use of two ones of blue on the home turned me off a lot as did those weird torso stripes.  The away looks pretty sharp, but I'm not sure the excessive use of yellow works too well with that much white.

Home Design - 4
Home Colors - 3
Away Design - 4
Away Colors - 5
Total - 16

Notes: Nashville almost looked really nice.  I like yellow jerseys, but the home straddles the fence too much for me.  Either go all out hideous yellow, or break it up a lot with other colors.  They did neither.  Would've given the away a perfect score if Bridgestone was easier to read.


Home Design - 3
Home Colors - 3
Away Design - 3
Away Colors - 3
Total - 12

Notes: What do you want, it's boring.


Home Design - 3
Home Colors - 4
Away Design -Oh My God
Away Colors - What the fuck?
Total - ???

Notes: The more I look at it, the more the away jersey is perfect for Columbus.  Like every logo they've ever had, it has WAY THE HELL too much going on.  I feel like Forrest Gump...why is your shirt a flag?

No comments:

Post a Comment