Thursday, August 18, 2011

30 Day Movie Challenge in One Day Because Fuck You

Day 01- The best movie you saw during the last year

This is a tough one because I watch so many movies, probably pretty close to 300 a year. If I really, really like a movie, I buy it, and I currently own Speed of Thought so that has to be up there. Surrogates was also really good. Splice made me feel dirty inside so it definitely gets a nomination. Lake Mungo was really well done for a horror/drama, and Megan is Missing was just despicable. All great options.

Day 02 – The most underrated movie

I love Indie movies, and a lot of them are really, really good. They get a bit of an unfair shake especially in certain genres where special effects need to be created through camera trickery and not piles of money poured into CGI. So I'd have to nominate Nobody is Doing This and Speed of Thought.

Day 03 – A movie that makes you really happy

How can you not like Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium?

Day 04 – A movie that makes you sad

I don't make a huge habit of watching sad movies, but Never Let Me Go with Keira Knightley is one of the most beautiful, breathtaking and sad movies I've seen.

 Obligatory Random Keira Knightley Pic

Day 05 – Favorite love story in a movie

Probably the one in A Very Long Engagement.

Day 06 – Favorite made for TV movie

People watch these? Since the only ones I've seen are atrocious horror movies on the Sci-Fi channel, I'll go with Snakehead Terror.

Day 07 – The most surprising plot twist or ending

As a writer, my mind sees the many different avenues a movie could walk so I am rarely surprised. That being said, A l'aventure was not what I expected. The Orphanage was also somewhat surprising.

Day 08 – A movie that you’ve seen countless times

Garden State for sure. It's just so uplifting.

Day 09 – A movie with the best soundtrack

Garden State. Nothing else comes close. Zach Braff is a genius.

Day 10 – Favorite classic movie

Is 1971 classic? Going to assume it is and go with Harold and Maude.



Day 11 – A movie that changed your opinion about something

The Tracey Fragments made me realize that Ellen Page doesn't always make good movies.

Day 12 – A movie that you hate

I typically hate movies that are vastly overrated, namely action movies without a hint of substance. While I enjoyed them, the Transformer movies come to mind, as does The Dark Knight. (People think The Dark Night is one of the best movies of all time. Ridiculous.) Shrek and Austin Powers are up there because I think Mike Myers is really annoying. Tough call.

Day 13 – A movie that is a guilty pleasure

I know Nicolas Cage is kind of awful...but Con Air is awesome.

Day 14 – A movie that no one would expect you to love

This is tough since people know me as a pretty broad individual. I think, looking over my library, the movie that would surprise the most people is Girl Interrupted.

Day 15 – A character who you can relate to the most

Another tough one since movies are often not about relatable people. I would say there are several I'm similar to. I'm very quirky like Sam from Garden State. I can be hermetic and shy like Amelie Poulain from Amelie, I'm smart in a broad sense like Bartleby in Accepted, sometimes screwed like Bruce in Bruce Almighty, but the most apt comparison is probably Mahoney in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. Like Mahoney with her music, I'm looking for that big breakthrough with my writing.

Day 16 – A movie that you used to love but now hate

I used to think Star Trek V was a decent movie, but I can't make it through even a half hour now.

Day 17 – A movie that disappointed you the most

Probably the first time as a kid that I saw a movie based on a book. That's always a letdown until you can appreciate how the differences in mediums necessitate differences in storytelling.

Day 18 – A movie that you wish more people would’ve seen

Serenity. No explanation needed.



Day 19 – Favorite movie based on a book/comic/etc.

Based on a book, Harold and Maude, although the book was basically a script in novel form. Based on a comic book, I do like Daredevil a lot. Because fuck you. And the X-Men movies were pretty awesome. Scott Pilgrim is based on a graphic novel, and that was pretty sweet too, as was Sin City.

Day 20 – Favorite movie from your favorite actor/actress

From my favorite actress? Garden State and Natalie Portman. From my favorite actor? Serenity and Nathan Fillion.

Day 21 – Favorite action movie

Serenity, duh.

Day 22 – Favorite documentary

Fahrenheit 9/11 I guess.

Day 23 – Favorite animation

I don't really do animation, but The Lion King is always good. I haven't seen it in a while, but I suspect Beauty and the Beast might be my favorite Disney movie.

Day 24 – That one awesome movie idea that still hasn’t been done yet

Any one of my novels.

Day 25 – The most hilarious movie you’ve ever seen

Accepted. Dodgeball is up there.

Day 26 – A movie that you love but everyone else hates

I rarely hate movies so take your pick from Daredevil or Waterworld.

Day 27 – A movie that you wish you had seen in theaters

Serenity.

Day 28 – Favorite movie from your favorite director

How about Garden State again? Most famous directors are tied to action movies. Special mention of Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

Day 29 – A movie from your childhood

The Mighty Ducks.



Day 30 – Your favorite movie of all time

Garden State.

No comments:

Post a Comment