Saturday, July 16, 2011

Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II

I'm not going to waste time with some of the info I normally post because everyone already knows it.

Genre:Fantasy
Length: 130 Minutes
Rating: PG-13

IMDB Score: 8.7 (out of 10)


Review: There's going to be a dual nature to this review since this was also the first movie I've seen in modern 3D.  First the 3D part.  It seemed gimmicky and I stopped noticing it about 20 minutes into the movie.  The End.

Now the real part, the movie.  This one is a bit hard to judge because in actuality, it's really only half a movie.  The pacing seemed a bit quick to me, but I think that coupled with part one, it would probably be fitting.  There were some good moments, but the movie didn't blow me away in any sense.  You'll get your standard complaints about how the book was better, which you'd do well to ignore.  Literature and film are different media, and as such stories need to be told differently.  I thought the movie did a good job in conveying things visually while remaining true enough to the novel.



Acting: 10/10 - It's an All-Star cast.

Quality Within Genre: 7/10 - A good Potter film, but not a great one.

Entertainment Value: 9/10 - Nothing to knock, it didn't bore me, but there were a few things I felt deserved to be shown and a few characters that got garbage screen time.

Realism (Within the world defined by the movie): 10/10 -It's a movie involving magic...

Rewatch Value: 7/10 - I'd watch all the movies again, but that speaks to the quality of the story not the quality of any particular movie.  In any case, DH would probably be my third choice to watch again behind HBP and OotP in that order.

Total: 8.6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment