Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review: No Strings Attached

 No Strings Attached (2011)

Genre: Comedy
Length: 108 Minutes
Rating: R
Big Names: Natalie Portman, Ashton Kutcher, Ludacris
IMDB Score: 6.2 (out of 10)

Synopsis: Natalie Portman doesn't want your love, just your penis.

Review: I picked this up solely because it had Natalie Portman in it, my favorite actress, but expected it to be complete crap.  I've seen so many cookie cutter Jennifer Aniston Romantic Comedies that are so whitebread that I've lost all respect for the genre.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Somehow I always forget that Ashton Kutcher is a legitimately talented actor, probably because of his role on That 70s show.  Ludacris played the "funny black man that says outrageous shit" role perfectly, and some of the one liners in this movie are true gems.

Acting: 10/10 - Kutcher and Portman are great.

Quality Within Genre: 8/10 - Pretty funny and easy on the RomCom cheese.

Entertainment Value: 9/10 - Made me laugh out loud repeatedly.

Realism (Within the world defined by the movie): 7/10 - I wasn't really feeling Portman's character's emotions at the end, but I watched the movie to laugh, not to be wowed by the love story.

Rewatch Value: 8/10 - RomComs get stale pretty fast, but this one was fairly funny.

Total: 8.4/10

1 comment:

  1. my mom and her bf were watching this last Friday when I went home. I came in maybe 60-65% of the way through the movie. My takeaway was "wow, I'm not used to Portman swearing and talking about cock to the face or w/e the fuck is going on here"

    Just came off as odd for me.

    ReplyDelete