Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Geeky Things I Never Got Into

I think that it's pretty apparent that I identify as nerdy, geeky, dorky, whatever the chic term is these days (I prefer "intellectual superior"), but there are some stereotypical nerd activities that I never really got into.

Anime

This is almost the inspiration for this entry (that comes next), but I never had any predillection towards anime.  I don't know if that was through lack of exposure, or if the jock side of me pulled me away from that abyss to (slightly) less fantasy prone things on television like Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles.  However with Anime comes an...

Asian Fetish
Yeah, not happening.  Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of attractive Asian women, I just never put them on a pedestal above any other race.  This one is sort of curious to me as a big area of nerddom.  I don't know if it is because it goes along with anime, or if it's that in some Asian cultures the women are expected to be submissive, which is pretty much any nerd's wet dream.


Pokemon, Magic, and other card games
I actually had a friend who played Magic pretty heavily when I was in junior high, and played a little bit myself every once in a while.  It was amusing, but there were other nerdy things that drew my attention more, like tabletop war games, computer games, and Risk.


First Person Shooters
Maybe this is less of a nerd thing these days and more of a jock thing as it's seen as cool to play Modern Warfare, or CoD, or that eminently overrated game for the X-Box that shall not be named (and all the nerds play MMORPGS).  I do have a Steam username for The Killing Floor, but that's a PC shooter which makes it okay.  I'll tell you in explicit detail why I never liked MMFPS console games.  They suck.  The controls suck, there is no way a controller can compete with a keyboard and mouse.  Furthermore, that universe is often overpopulated with rich twelve year olds who have nothing better to do than play those games all day and become better than any human ever should at a video game outside of Korea.

Command and Conquer and Age of Empires
These were extremely popular among my nerd crowd in high school.  Unfortunately they're roughly the 905th, and 1,738th best RTS games that have been made.  Total Annihilation trumps them any day of the week, and of course, there's StarCraft.


Extensive Computer Knowledge
Don't get me wrong, I'm knowledgeable enough to be able to tell when Best Buy is trying to rip me off by charging for things that an inanimate object could learn how to do after five minutes of internet browsing, but as far as programming and hacking were concerned, I stayed away.  Don't get me wrong, I think those skills would be awesome to learn, I just never had the desire to go beyond what I'd need for other pursuits.

Live Action Role Playing
Oh wait, I have done this.  It's called paintball or recreational sports.  You're not as cool as you think jocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment