Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Rough Idea for Next Novel

As I was watching my girlfriend order a pizza for the two of us on Saturday without having to interact with a human being at all (via Papa John's iphone app), I began to wonder where current technology is taking us.  There are a lot of jobs nowadays where human interaction has been minimized due to technology.  Meetings have transitioned from being able to take place in person, to being able to take place in multiple groups of people via conference calling and speaker phone to being able to take place in each individual workstation through VOIP.  Sometimes they don't happen at all thanks to the faceless, voiceless wonders of e-mail and text messaging.

While it may never actually happen, given people insecurities and passive aggressiveness, there is a possibility for the perversion of these abilities.  That is the world I seek to create and explore, one where human interaction is all but eliminated, where the introvert thrives, and have been replaced as sociable human beings and extroverts become the new outcasts.

Writing it will be a different journey than writing Arnett Tanner Wants to Die.  With ATWtD, I had the story first without having fully formed the world around it, and here I have the opposite.  I can see a digitized and largely silent culture, but I'm not sure what kind of story I have.  I may wind up creating a Ted Kazinsky-like character (the technology averse unabomber) and following them in their misguided path through life, or pursing something similar to the novel Feed by M.T. Anderson in which a human being is born with an allergy or inability to use modern technology.  (Or some combination of the two ideas with the former leading to the latter.)

The formatting should be interesting as dialogue will be minimal with snippets of IM-type conversations littered throughout the novel.  It should be interesting to find ways to replace common day-to-day interactions with technological equivalents, and to create an extroverted protagonist (a quality I definitely do not have).

I don't know when I'll find the time to write it as working on this blog, writing FoR, and editing ATWtD and Skankarella have kept me pretty busy, but it will be up somewhere down the line.

1 comment:

  1. I think placing IM conversations into a novel will be interesting. I've seen it done before, but not frequently. Can't wait to see what sort of storyline you come up for it.

    ReplyDelete