Monday, January 31, 2011

Terrence Pegula: Humanizing the Savior

Maybe this has been said a bit too much by now and I'm a little late to the party, but I'm going to write about it anyways.

I'm pretty excited about the impending Terrence Pegula takeover of the Buffalo Sabres.  I thank Tom Golisano for his commitment to keeping the team in Buffalo and recognize that we owe him a large amount of gratitude for that feat.  Still, it has seemed more and more evident that he wasn't made for the business of owning a hockey team and his time has come to ride off into the sunset.

Enter: Terrence Pegula, big time hockey fan, former Orchard Park resident and future owner.  One of the reasons the fans are so excited is that he's one of us.  I have to admit that's a huge plus for a man I know almost nothing about.  The mere fact that he cares about putting banners in the rafter is an incredible thing to have.

But at the same time I almost don't want to get too excited.  I don't know anything about the guy.  I don't know what his style of ownership is going to be like.  Being a successful businessman and being a successful hockey owner are two different things, and being a fan of the team doesn't do much to bridge that gap.  There are a lot of huge Sabres fans around, and a lot of them would make piss-poor owners.  Wanting to win doesn't make you winner, and that's what worries me a little bit.

At this point I'm okay with merely saying that I like what I see so far, I like where I think things could easily head, and I'm going to wait and see to have strong feelings about everything else involved with the sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment