Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Skankarella Excerpt

From Chapter 12: The Cosplayer's Ball.
I don't think it needs too much setup, but basically Madison has met Julia for the first (real, having briefly run into her in Wal-Mart before) time at the midnight release of the latest issue of Uncanny X-Men.  Madison, due to circumstances that you'll just have to buy the book and read for, has gone to the release dressed as Mystique/Raven Darkhölme, while Julia has come as Destiny/Irene Adler.  Neither one knows that the other is a lesbian having only just met.


“Well since you possess the requisite knowledge, let me say that I love your costume,” Julia said smiling.  “Very sexy.”

Madison’s mind stalled again.  Innocuous compliment?  Flirtation?  She was hopelessly lost.  “I like yours too,” she finally blurted.  “Especially the hair,” her eyes flitted upwards to the ribbons and bun, though they so desperately wanted to travel south.

    “Thanks,” Julia said.  “Not quite accurate, I know, but I didn’t want to be carrying a giant bulge around on top of my head all night.  I’ll probably get half a dozen comments about it from nerds too serious for their own good,” she mused.  “I think they’ve finally got a few of the vendors set up over there.  I don’t know about you, but I’m starving.”  She held out her elbow, “shall we?”

    Madison stared at it for so long, she almost wanted to look around to see if Fagan had arrived to pick her up yet.  The soup was still sitting pleasantly in her stomach, but Julia’s offer was much too enticing to pass up.  Putting on what she hoped was her best smile and linking arms with Julia, the two wandered towards the entrance to the temporary perimeter that had been set up.

    A short line had formed in front of a tall reedy boy with glasses who appeared to be about twelve years old.  ‘Oh my god, is this happening?’ Madison’s mind asked herself. 

    Meanwhile, Julia's asked its own questions.  ‘This girl seems like she might be familiar.  Well, familiar or not, what she definitely is, is cute.  I wonder how close to home the costume is.  How can I find out?’

    “Five dollars,” the youth bleated nasally as the two neared the gate.  Julia conjured the money from inside of one of her thigh high socks while Madison reached into the left cup of her bra for the money Fagan had given her.  Was it just her imagination, or did Julia’s eyes follow her fingers beneath the soft fabric.

    “Are you sure you’re not here to tease the boys?” Julia asked her with a grin.

    “No,” was all Madison managed to work out.

    ‘What did you expect her to do, rip off the bra and stick her tongue in your mouth?’ Julia’s mind chided her.

    “What’s your pleasure?” Julia asked.

    “Excuse me?” Madison said, not sure how to take the question.

    “Hot dogs, nachos, burgers?” Julia asked, pointing at various vendors situated throughout the tent.  “Candy maybe?”

    “Oh I’m not picky, maybe some chocolate?” Madison mumbled.

    “Yeah, I’m not much of a hotdog girl myself,” Julia said with a grin and a wink.

    ‘Subtle,’ her mind taunted.

    The two settled on a couple candy bars and decided to share a large smoothie, taking a seat at one of the many picnic tables.  There had been several whistles and catcalls, none of which had reached Madison’s ears.  She was still too caught up in the presence of Julia to notice anything else around her

No comments:

Post a Comment