Friday, December 17, 2010

The Art of Tipping

Having friends who have held various service-based jobs, I've seen a number of complaints regarding customers who don't tip.  While I tend to restrict tipping to food industry jobs, (sorry Cable Guy) I tend to be pretty generous.

There are a few different numbers thrown out, but the most common is probably 15% or double the tax which seems like a fair amount and is easy to calculate.  There isn't a certain amount or percentage that I leave in tip every time and I'm not terribly swayed by service quality either.  I don't really care if my order is wrong as long as it's corrected in a reasonable amount of time, or if the wrong order is just as appealing to my tastebuds as the correct order.  (Hey take what life deals you, and sometimes it deals you chicken tenders instead of a club sandwich.)  I understand that these things happen, and it's perfectly fine.  If a waiter or waitress is especially attentive, then they'll definitely see it in the way of a few dollars though.

I would say on average, I usually leave between 25% and 40%, but I've left as much as 70% before.  I tend not to accumulate a large bill, so I have no problem handing a waitress $20 for a $12 dollar meal if he or she is good, or leaving them $5-$6 if they're merely adequate.  I'm not so horribly attached to my money that a couple dollars is going to matter one way or another, and seeing my dad attempt to shortchange several waitresses for no real reason, I'm determined to leave a better stamp on the world.

I figure at the very least I'm making up for the cheapskates that leave $3 on a $50 bill, and at the very best, I'm making someone's day just a little bit better.  And hey, who knows, maybe they'll take the extra dollars and pass it on to someone else, or use it to create something awesome that the world can enjoy like a novel, or a song, or a painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment