Friday, November 12, 2010

Finding the Chesapeake Bay Bridge

This is going to be a short entry.

This past summer, my father, my two sisters, and myself went to North Carolina.  The drive was done in two parts.  We drove to Washington D.C. on a Thursday, toured the city on Friday, and then headed to the beach on Saturday.  Rather than drive straight through to North Carolina, we decided to drive through rural Maryland to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, one of the longest bridges in the world.


Now, I know there are certain states that get the "bumfuck" reputation.  Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, West Virginia, and Alabama.  Maryland deserves to enter the conversation.  I can't tell you a lot about it since we were mostly driving through it, but at one point we did stop to ask how far we were from the giant bridge.

This place we pulled over at was basically a barn with a general store sign.  It wasn't horribly sketchy since I've seen similar places in rural Virgina.  Going inside was another story.  The shanty-store was run by two men.  One was your typical southern redneck with fewer teeth than fingers.  The other was an Indian man with a lazy eye.  Yeah...it was kind of like being in The Hills Have Eyes.  My dad went to converse with the Indian guy in broken English and I decided to head to piss.

The "bathroom" was a lone orange porta-potty in the middle of the field adjascent to the building.  When I walked into the plastic chamber, I was immediately greeted by a spider hanging off the wall with a body about the size of my thumb.  Well that fucker wasn't disrupting my piss so I stood as close to the door as possible and watched it the entire time.

So beyond feeling like we might wind up being either dinner or target practice, and the monstrosity of the spider, it was actually a half decent, albeit frightening experience and my dad apparently got a decent indiaction of where we were and we continued on our merry way.

No comments:

Post a Comment