Sunday, October 31, 2010

To Sleep or Not to Sleep?

I think it's official that my body pretty well hates me for what I do to it sleep-wise virtually every day.  On Friday "night," I stayed up talking with a friend until eleven AM, then went to sleep for five hours.  Then yesterday I started getting really tired around one or two AM, and went to bed then.  Now I'm awake at 7:40 and I feel alright.  So to recap I was awake for about 20 hours, before sleeping for 5.  Then I was awake for 9 or 10 hours before sleeping for another 5 or 6.

The worst part was when I went upstairs to get a drink and contemplate making food.  The VCR clock said it was 6:12, while the microwave clock said it was 7:12.  "What the hell?" I asked myself wearily.  Are we at that time of year where we start dicking around with extra hours and stuff?  Even worse was the wall clock told me it was about 6:30.  Imagine waking up at an hour when you're normally going to bed and seeing three different clocks tell you three different times.  Plus it's Halloween.  Yeah...I started looking around for the time traveling zombies or whatever the hell was screwing with me before it killed me.



I think the problem is/was that I'm not used to waking up at this hour, I'm used to going to bed at this hour.  My typical sleep pattern is 7 AM to 3 PM.  So my body is basically telling me, "waking up at an hour when normal people wake up, what is this blasphemy?!"  Not to mention I actually went to bed when it was dark out and woke up when it was just starting to get light out instead of the other way around.

My body is almost afraid to be awake.  It's looking around going, "well this is unusual."  It sees that my computer is on, and that comforts it, because it knows that when the computer is on, it is supposed to be up and doing things.  (Mostly on said computer.)  But it's a little suspicious.  My body right now is basically that guy in Starbucks who is between forty and nine hundred years older than everyone else and is somehow simultaneously giving everyone in the room that shifty-eyed stare.  It was the only place he had to get coffee, but there are people with blue hair and people with those portable computer things, and god damnit, they're probably there so they can hack into his personal data and steal his collection of lawn gnomes.  Or something.

I tried to go back to sleep, I really did, but my brain was having none of that.  A lot of the time when I'm too awake for sleep, my brain likes to disrupt things.  I'll go to lay down, and all of a sudden it practically shours "WRITING IDEA!"  So then I write it down and tend to clear my head.  This does not placate the beast.  "IDEA.....IDEA! IDEA! IDEA! IDEA! IDEA! IDEA! IDEA! IDEA! IDEA! IDEA!"  God damnit, I'll get up!

So that's why I'm awake at eight AM with a phone full of texts to myself that I sent about forty minutes ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment