Saturday, October 2, 2010

Remembering Uncle Dave

As some of you know, my Uncle Dave passed away on Wednesday of a heart attack at the age of 58.

Let's start from the beginning.  When I was six or seven years old, I started going down to visit my Grandma Bobbie every summer, first with my father, and then alone.  My Uncle Dave had lived in New Bern for as long as I've been alive, and had at some point, convinced my Grandma to move from Buffalo to join him in the south when I was three or four.  Visiting Grandma always meant frequent visits to and from Uncle Dave.

Probably the most defining and enduring memory I have of him revolves around video games.  You see, Uncle Dave had both an original Nintendo, and a Super Nintendo.  To my young self, these were great treats as my parents were adamantly against video games.  A trip to Uncle Dave's house meant the possibility of either playing myself, or watching him maneuver through the various Mario games.  (Quite entertaining, the man was skilled like no other).

Eventually, my Grandma took possession of the original Nintendo, (much to my delight) and Uncle Dave was always ready to help me out of a jam when he stopped by.  My Grandma eventually ended up becomming rather enthralled with the device, particularly with Tetris.  She got pretty good at it, and it quickly became a running contest between her and my Uncle to one-up each other's scores.

As I grew older, the trips south became less frequent, and I hadn't seen my Uncle in at least six or seven years.  I've spoken on the phone with him fairly recently though.  I've probably talked with him more than any of my other uncles.  The men on my dad's side of the family are not known for being particularly conversational.

He was always a nice guy.  My dad and my Uncle Pete have their tempers, and my Uncle Pat can get snippy, but Uncle Dave has always been extremely calm and even keel.  He looked a bit like Bill from the show King of the Hill, and often carried the mellow disposition of a sunning cat.  He was always nice, always friendly, and always quick with the D-pad and A-button.  And he will be missed.

Rest In Peace Uncle Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment