Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Top 500 Movies of All Time: What Belonged

Recently I stumbled across Empire's list of the Top 500 Movies of All Time here.  The list was generated largely using the rankings from a few movie sites, such as IMDB.com.  This is retarded as the recency tendency will tend to have movie-goers way overrating a lot of newer movies.  Just read the list, you'll see.

Now I can't comment on movies I haven't seen.  Which was 406 of the 500 movies.  So I'll take the remaining 94 and discuss why they do, or do not belong on the list. On to Part II where I rank the ones I've seen that I felt did belong.

I'm not even going to try and rank one genre against another, so I'm going to split them up into categories and go through them.

Comedy:
65). Harold and Maude
This movie should probable be higher.  It never gets old, the message is just as important today as it was in 1971, and the soundtrack, specially produced for the movie by Cat Stevens is superb.

73). Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

115). Blazing Saddles
Honestly, I think Blazing Saddles is a bit high, but there's something to be said for successfully using racial in the 70s, just nine years after African Americans received complete voting equality.

122). The Princess Bride
128). Lost in Translation

Initially I thought Lost in Translation was a bit high.  It really isn't much, and most people will hate it.  But there's something undeniably beautiful about it.

189). Ghostbusters

196). Amelie

Amelie is way too low, most likely because it's in a foreign language.  The movie is stunning in every definition of the word.  Even more, it's not even the best movie with Audrey Tatou staring and Jean Pierre Jeunet directing.

231). Shaun of the Dead

381). Monty Python and the Holy Grail

393). Garden State

Everyone who knows me, knows this is my favorite movie.



361). Clerks

435). American Psycho
445). Dumb and Dumber
463). Juno

A lot of people have a love-hate relationship with Juno either because of it's touchy subject matter, or the way in which it approaches said subject matter.



Sci-Fi/Fantasy:

3). Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
22). Star Wars: A New Hope

Look, I like the Star Wars movies.  I don't think they're terribly well written, but there is no mistaking one fact.  They are ICONIC.  For that reason alone they deserve to be near the top of this list.

23). Back to the Future
24). The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
39). The Matrix
47). E.T.
132). Pan's Labyrinth
172). The Wizard of Oz

It is really hard to stay high in this category as an older movie.  Usually technology advances to the point where the CGI just is no longer good enough to make it watchable.  I think that's the draw in The Wizard of Oz, in that the movie isn't the least bit about the special effects.  They're almost there as an after-thought, while the story is told.  Several modern filmmakers should remember that.

232). Jurassic Park
383). Serenity

You can't take the sky from me.  Name me another TV show that aired 12 episodes and yet went on to spurn a major motion picture.

452). Unbreakable

I think this is a better M. Night Shyamalan movies than The Sixth Sense.

465). 12 Monkeys

This movie is crazy good, and yet no one seems to remember it, or hold it in very high regard.  Brad Pitt and Bruce Willis are unbelievable and this sets the bar for futuristic post-apocalyptic movies.

484). The Fountain

Just weird.

498). Back to the Future II



Action - Adventure:
3). Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Arc
210). Platoon
306). Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
371). Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

It's next to impossible to be funny in an action-adventure movie without crossing over the line into incredibly stupid.  Just look at the latest Indiana Jones movie.

372). Army of Darkness
This should be higher.  While not strictly a B-movie (since the budget was fairly big), it definitely sets the bar for all B-movies to come with the perfect blend of comedy, stupidity, and chainsaw-wielding awesome.

418). V for Vendetta



Horror:
134). Seven
238). Requiem for a Dream

Requiem for a dream is definitely a horror movie, just not in the conventional sense.

332). The Sixth Sense
490). Sweeny Todd
499). Saw


Drama:
4). The Shawshank Redemption

While not my favorite movie, this may well be the best movie I've ever seen.

44). Schindler's List
96). American Beauty
227). The Professional (Leon)
240). Forrest Gump

Such a wildly entertaining movie.

260). Field of Dreams
274). Sin City

So beautiful visually that it's almost worth a spot on this list for that reason alone.  How many movies can boast that?

305). The Prestige
311). American History X
328). The Truman Show
331). The Green Mile

So good, you won't even notice it's over three hours long.

433). Good Will Hunting



Those Left Behind:

The following is a list of movies I thought were left off the list.

The Nobel Son (2007)

Like I said previously, I think The Nobel Son is one of the best heist films ever made.


Labyrinth (1984)


Labyrinth has such a strong cult following, I'm genuinely shocked it was discounted.  Who doesn't love seeing David Bowie's balls?

Ace Ventura (1994)

Ace Ventura is much funnier than Dumb and Dumber.

What Dreams May Come (1998)
This film is simply gorgeous, in both storytelling, and actual appearance.  It's one of the few films shot on Fuji Velvia (RVM) film stock due to the amount of color in the movie.

Franklyn (2008)

Absolutely the best Dystopian - Futuristic movie.

Slumdog Millionaire (2009)

This one gets a pass because the list was released in 2008.

A Very Long Engagement (2004)

One of the very few films that can rival The Shawshank Redemption for the best movies I've ever seen.  It's in French, so that will turn a lot of people off.  Same lead actress (Audrey Tatou) and director (Jean-Pierre Jeunet) as Amelie.

Let the Right One In (2008)

Also probably too late to make the list, but one of the best Vampire films ever.  Edward Cullen has nothing on this girl.

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (2007)

Easily much cuter than any Kids movie on the list up to and including Toy Story.

The Mighty Ducks (1992)

"You quacked at her?"

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE some of these movies. Too long of a list to go by, but Steven King is ridiculous. People just label him as a master horror writer (with iconic titles all over the place) but Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are film masterpieces IMO.

    Lee and I read a lot when we worked at the library (when we were supposed to be working, haha) and I read The Green Mile because I loved the film. Lee (and maybe New Guy as well) hadn't seen the film somehow, so we rented and watched that. I also own SR on bluray.

    Surprisingly, I have seen almost every title in the Drama section and loved all of them except for Schindler's List (which I watached last summer and just never had it pull me in).

    Too many things here for me to support without creating my own response blog, haha

    ReplyDelete