Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Home is Where the Heart Is

I think one of the most heartening things that I’ve heard in the past couple of months came in January from my Grandma Mach. I’d called her for her birthday, and as the conversation turned to life updates, she said, “so, I hear you want to move back home.”

Yes…
Yes!
Home.
Home.

I want to move back home. Someone gets it, someone understands. There is actually one person in this world that comprehends my desire to move back to Buffalo. Well, okay, that wouldn’t be fair to the dozens of natives and current residents I know.

But you should see the responses I get, the stupid looks and questioning vacant stares that people give me when I tell them that I want to move back to Buffalo. I don’t like being taken for an idiot; no one does, especially in regards to something that is so normal. Doesn’t everyone have that place where they feel they belong? Haven’t you gone anywhere or lived anywhere and just thought, ‘yeah, this fits. This is where I should be.’?

And so I come back to my Grandma, who said it as though it were the most natural thing in the world. Like, ‘move back to Buffalo, why wouldn’t you, why haven’t you yet?’

Exactly Grandma, Exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment