Sunday, February 14, 2010

Big Bad Book Update

So it's been a while since I gave a report on what I've been up to for "Vampire Story." As you can see, I have not come up with a better title. I finished a few weeks ago and have been going through the editing process, splitting it into three steps:
  • First Round - typos, poorly written sentences, obvious inconsistencies within chapters.
  • Second Round - inconsistencies throughout the entire book, character reviews and checks (is that character consistent throughout the story, and is their level of knowledge consistent; i.e. do they know things they shouldn't?)
  • Third Round - rewrites and additions
The book came in at around 84,000 words, which is a bit on the shorter end of what I was aiming for, however; I believe there are three chapters that I need to add.  One will be particularly rough because it will cause me to revise one chapter in which I like the exchange had between characters.  I also need to nail down what exactly I am going to do with the prologue.  As much as I like to get right into the action, I think that readers do need a bit of a setup for the story.

I plan on dishing it out to whomever is willing to read and make comments.  If that's you, be sure to let me know.  What will really help is comments on specific parts ("I like the way this character does this."), or questions ("Why did this happen/this character do this?").  The questions will be especially helpful because it will allow me to address the weaker points that I simply don't see, knowing the entire story in my head.

All in all, I hope to have something that is pretty close to be submittable within a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment